Lebanon enters a three-day period of national mourning

Beijing News on the afternoon of August 4 local time, a major explosion occurred in the port of Beirut, the capital of Lebanon. At present, more than 100 people were killed and more than 4000 people were injured. The government of Lebanon announced a three-day period of national mourning beginning on August 5. On the evening of August 5, Beijing News exclusively contacted the staff of the Chinese Embassy in Lebanon. According to his introduction, there are more than 600 Chinese citizens in Lebanon, of whom more than 400 are officers and soldiers of the peacekeeping force stationed in Paris and Nen, and more than 200 are staff members of Chinese funded institutions, public teachers, overseas students and overseas Chinese. After the explosion, the Chinese Embassy contacted Chinese citizens in the area for the first time. According to the information, only one staff member of a Chinese funded institution was scratched by the explosion glass. After being treated in the hospital, it is no longer in a serious way; other Chinese citizens are in good condition. The embassy has issued a security alert, asking all Chinese citizens to strengthen security precautions. In case of any new emergency, they can contact the embassy for assistance. < / P > < p > the explosion took place around 18:00 local time on August 4. The entire city of Beirut was shaken, a large number of buildings collapsed, and windows were shattered miles away. The video showed that pink mushroom clouds even rose at the scene. The European Mediterranean earthquake center recorded the explosion in Lebanon with a magnitude of 3.3. Marwan abd, mayor of Beirut, cried out that day, “I have never seen such a big explosion. This is a national disaster.”. He likened the accident to a Hiroshima Nagasaki disaster, saying half of the city’s buildings were damaged and hospitals were overwhelmed by the influx of injured people. According to the New York Times, the explosion caused serious damage to St. George’s Hospital in central Beirut, which had to move dozens of patients elsewhere. < / P > < p > a local resident told AFP, “all the buildings around have collapsed, and the road you walk on is full of glass and debris, and it’s pitch black.”. It is reported that the search and rescue work on the night of August 4 was very difficult because the power supply was cut off in the nearby areas. “What we are seeing is a huge disaster, with casualties everywhere,” George kentney, head of the Lebanon Red Cross, told local media. “More than 100 people have been killed, and we are still conducting search and rescue operations in the surrounding areas,” the Red Cross said in a statement on the 5th. According to media reports in Lebanon, the victims included naharian, Secretary General of the javelin party. In addition, an Australian citizen and two Philippine citizens were confirmed dead in the explosion, and Japanese and Indonesian citizens were slightly injured in the explosion. “We are witnessing a real disaster,” prime minister Hassan diab said in a television address. He called on friends from other countries, Lebanon, to help the country. It is reported that diab’s wife and daughter were also injured in the explosion. According to the guardian, a spokesman for Lebanon’s supreme Defense Council said in a televised speech on the 4th that the government had been advised to declare Beirut a “disaster affected city” and implement a two-week state of emergency until August 18. The president of Lebanon, Michel ORN, said that 100 billion lira of emergency aid funds will be allocated from the 2020 budget. According to CNN, US President trump called it an “attack” after the explosion, but did not give evidence. The Defense Department later denied the claim, saying there was no evidence that it was an attack. Israel, which has been at loggerheads with Lebanon for a long time, denied that it was related to the explosion. An IDF spokesman said he would not comment on the cause of the explosion. Lebanon also denied that they were involved in the explosion. In the Middle East, both close allies and countries in conflict with Lebanon have expressed support for Lebanon. Among them, Qatar said it would send field hospitals to Lebanon to support the local medical response. Israel says it will provide humanitarian assistance to Lebanon. Jordan, Iran, Oman, Bahrain, Kuwait and other countries also expressed their sympathy for the victims of the accident and would provide any assistance needed for Lebanon. < / P > < p > in addition, many western countries have also expressed their views on the explosion in Lebanon. British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said on social media that he was “shocked” to see the video photos of the Beirut explosion, “I am with those affected by this terrible incident,” and “the UK is ready to offer any possible help, as well as to help those affected British nationals.”. Canadian Prime Minister Trudeau called the incident a “tragedy” on social media, expressing sympathy and support to all those affected by the explosion, “we are ready to help.”. “Russia sympathizes with the grief of the people of Lebanon,” Russian President Vladimir Putin said in a statement.